Monday, November 26, 2018

Nambu Sembei - Natural wheat crackers from Tohoku District

When I want to buy a vegan snack that is healthier than potato chips at a supermarket, I sometimes choose Nambu Sembei. Although the word “sembei” usually means rice cracker, the main ingredient of them is wheat. They were originally made in the territory of Nambu clan, which was across present Aomori and Iwate Prefectures. Nambu Sembei have a history of more than 600 years.

Nowadays, Nambu Sembei are sold in supermarkets all over Japan. Usually, two types are available: sesame and peanut types. When I went to a supermarket today, there was only one package of peanut type. Maybe they are selling well. I heard that there are many more types in their original birthplace. 


Nambu Sembei are baked in molds and have an outer rim around them. The rim is crispy, and I often cut it off and eat before the main part of the cracker (I know it is a bad manner). This one is the sesame type. As it is seasoned just with salt and doesn’t contain sugar, it has a simple, a little salty taste. 


Maybe this non-sugar sesame type is healthier, but I prefer the peanut type. It contains sugar (not much I guess) and is slightly sweet. 


In addition to these two, I have also eaten other type of Nambu Sembei that contained both sesame and peanuts! I thought it was a good idea to mix them together. After eating it, however, I found it better to taste sesame and peanuts separately.

Nambu Sembei are good to have when you feel hungry between meals or after dinner. They may be suitable also for breakfast if you don’t have much appetite in the morning. You can dip the peanut type into coffee or tea, for example. I heard that people in Hachinohe in Aomori Prefecture have a type that is exclusively eaten in soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year of Ox 2021

If you are in Japan during the year-end and New Year holidays, you can see many pretty sweets at Japanese confectionary stores. As 2021 is t...