Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Indian retort pouch vegan curry

Curry is one of the most popular food in Japan. In 1968, a Japanese company released the first commercial retort pouch curry in the world. Since then, it has been greatly diversified. In addition to common beef, pork, and chicken curry, there are also some hundreds of kinds of local curry made from specialties of each region, but most of them are not for vegetarians or vegans.

Several years ago, I used to shop online and buy products made by MTR in India when I wanted to eat curry. They were very good and available at a reasonable price. Later, I happened to find a cookbook of Indian vegetable curry and started to make by myself. But I still wished every ordinary supermarket would have vegetarian or vegan curry products someday.

Recently, you can find some retort pouches of Japanese vegan curry in some supermarkets such as Bio Atsumi. They are much more expensive than popular meat curry products, so I don’t feel like trying one. The other day, however, I found four kinds of curry made by Vinee's Kitchen in India. Three of them were vegetarian, but this Chana Masala was vegan. The ingredients were water, white chickpea, tomato, onion, sunflower oil, salt, ginger, garlic, coriander leaves, green chilli and spices. I was glad to see that it contained no food additives.


As I have eaten Chana Masala in Indian restaurants several times, I could imagine how it would taste. But I was surprised to see the curry when I poured it onto rice after heating the pouch in boiling water.


I wondered how many chickpeas there were. At first, I was so surprised at the amount of chickpeas that I couldn’t taste the curry very well. Then, I found it was quite hot and spicy, though it was “MEDIUM” according to the package. I sweated while eating. It stimulated my appetite and tasted very good when I felt tired after work.

When I finished, I felt like eating a piece of watermelon. I went to the nearest supermarket, but watermelons had been already sold out. Maybe I have to prepare some juicy fruits in advance when I eat curry next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year of Ox 2021

If you are in Japan during the year-end and New Year holidays, you can see many pretty sweets at Japanese confectionary stores. As 2021 is t...