Sunday, May 10, 2020

Snap peas & shiitake mushroom

At the beginning of May, my mother and I went to Shirawaki Branch of JA Topia Hamamatsu Farmers’ Market. It is right across from Muhammadi Masjid Hamamatsu in Minami-ku (South Ward) and has big signboards in front of its parking lot.


In a farmers’ market, you can find local fresh flowers sold at reasonable prices.


Now is the season for snap peas and green peas.


I bought a bag of snap peas and got a bag of fresh shiitake mushroom from my mother.


With them I made two kinds of vegan dishes. First, I strung some snap peas and broke off the stems from the mushroom caps.


Then I cut the caps, sauteed them with snap peas with sesame oil, grated garlic and salt, and sprinkled black pepper. According to the recipe on the Internet, you should saute them with olive oil, but I thought it was also good with sesame oil.


Another dish was miso soup. Usually, Japanese vegan broth is made from dried shiitake mushroom (or kelp), but I used the stems of shiitake mushroom instead. I boiled snap peas and sliced stems in 200 cc of water for about 5 minutes and added a tablespoon of miso.


I found this miso soup was satisfactory. Maybe some other ingredients such as leek can make it tastier.

Farmers’ markets are nice places for vegans to visit. In addition to fresh vegetables, you can also find seasonal fresh sweets. My mother and I ate kashiwamochi or a rice cake wrapped with an oak leave in the car before we left. I introduced kashiwamochi several days ago in this blog, but this one from the farmers’ market was also delicious. It may not be as good-looking as those in confectionery stores, but it had a hand-made feel with much adzuki bean paste in it.


3 comments:

  1. I'm curious about the miso soup. Is it vegan? Does it contain some kind of fish ingredient?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! Miso is soybean paste and miso soup is a common dish made at home. It is served in any Japanese restaurant, but they usually use dried bonito broth. Some temples serve good vegan lunches including miso soup that uses shiitake mushroom/kelp broth. I remember Taiwanese soup flavored with celery. It was very tasty and eye-opening because we usually ate celery uncooked.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I like miso soup, but it's not easy to find vegan one in Japan. :<

      Delete

Happy New Year of Ox 2021

If you are in Japan during the year-end and New Year holidays, you can see many pretty sweets at Japanese confectionary stores. As 2021 is t...