Sunday, June 7, 2020

Samurai Ramen UMAMI popular among visitors from abroad

It has been quite hot recently (27 degrees now). I feel like eating delicious curry with newly baked fresh naan bread at an Indian restaurant, but I still don’t dare to eat among people in a restaurant.
During this corona period, I have become more interested in vegan foods available in supermarkets than before.

Yesterday, I found a vegan instant ramen called Samurai Ramen UMAMI at BIO Atsumi. As you may know, Samurai is a warrior that can be seen in Japanese historical dramas. Personally, I can hardly identify with samurai because I’m a descendant of farmers as most ordinary Japanese people, and I don’t like that the image of samurai is often emphasized when talking about present Japanese people. But I still got interested in the ramen itself, which was in a pack like this.


It bears a mark of samurai,


 the Indian green vegetarian mark, and a “Vegan” mark.


On the backside, you can see how to prepare it and ingredients written in English. It contains no alcohol and is also suitable for Muslim. According to their website, this ramen has been popular among people who visit Japan from abroad. But I saw it for the first time yesterday. Maybe it is still unknown in most provincial towns.


This pack contained ramen and soup for two servings.


It took about five minutes to get it ready. This time I added sprouts of celery and soymilk skin.


I found the soup very spicy. It may be less spicy than the cup noodle Shin (辛) Ramen I introduced before, but I was a bit surprised. The soup contained ingredients such as ginger paste, chili oil, and chopped garlic. The soup was also tasty with the flavors of miso, soy sauce, sesame paste, ground sesame, etc. I liked it very much. The sprouts of celery added a flavor, and I think ordinary celery may also go well with the soup.

In addition to this spicy vegan version, there is another vegan Samurai Ramen UMAMI that does not contain five spicy foods (全素不含五辛). It is in a red pack and is available through Amazon Japan. Hopefully, it will be sold in ordinary supermarkets because it may become popular among a wider range of people, including those who can’t eat spicy foods and small children.

*On June 13, I went to BIO Atsumi again and found that Samurai Ramen UMAMI in a red pack is also sold there. Hopefully, both types of Samurai Ramen will be available permanently.

2 comments:

  1. Great to have another vegan choice!
    But 27 degrees is not that hot, we have 34 in Taiwan. That's really really hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! It's already as hot as in August in Japan! It may be tough to travel there in summer, but I'm still very interested in Taiwanese shaved ice dessert...

      Delete

Happy New Year of Ox 2021

If you are in Japan during the year-end and New Year holidays, you can see many pretty sweets at Japanese confectionary stores. As 2021 is t...