Saturday, January 19, 2019

Tartaruga - Pizza, pasta, and vegan-friendly buffet

Today my mother and I went to Tartaruga for dinner. It is an all-you-can-eat Italian restaurant with a buffet. It was a little over 16:00, and we wondered if there was as much food to choose as in the lunch time or at night. But it proved to be unnecessary worry.

In Tartaruga, each customer can order one dish at a time from the touch panel on the table. The menu mainly consists of pizza and spagetti, and you can see photos of all of them on the touch panel. After the dish is served, the next dish can be ordered. First, my mother ordered spaghetti recommended by a staff member, and I ordered Pizza Marinara, the oldest type of pizza without cheese. Then, we went to the buffet to pick up some vegetables.


The carrot strips were Carrot Rappees, and the cabbage pieces were also seasoned. I didn’t use dressing for other vegetables and seaweed, but there were several kinds of dressing beside the vegetables. After a while, the pizza was served.


It was a simple pizza with tomato sauce and basil as shown in the touch panel. As we could eat as much as we liked, pizzas and spaghetti were served in portions smaller than other restaurants. So, I ordered Spaghetti with Olive Oil, Garlic and Hot Chili Peppers, which is shortly called “peperonchino” in Japanese.


This simple spaghetti was very good. It was al dente and had a good flavor of garlic. Though the pizza was also good, I liked the spaghetti better. If there is any other vegan spaghetti, I’d like to try two kinds of spaghetti next time.

With the touch panel, you can order some desserts. Mother ordered a focaccia with chocolate sauce on the panel, but I was interested in soy milk soft ice cream and Japanese vegan sweets in the buffet. They were warabimochi (bracken-starch jelly) with powdered green tea sprinkled, zenzai (sweet adzuki-bean soup), shiratama (rice flour dumplings), and agar jelly.


I took soy milk soft ice cream because I had never had one before.


It was plain compared with dairy ice cream. I noticed later that I forgot sprinkling topping on the ice cream. There were also many kinds of fruits that might have gone well with the ice cream.

In addition to the focaccia, mother had other desserts including a lychee. It is a fruit loved by Empress Yang Kuei Fei in China but is not so common in Japan. I felt like trying one myself, so I took the last portion and jasmine tea.


The lychee had a smooth fresh texture that I thought unique. Jasmine tea had a good fragrance that I always like.

In Tartaruga, I didn’t have to ask staff members about vegan-friendly food, because they had simple options that were obviously vegan. I appreciate their wide range of options that allows vegetarians (vegans) to eat satisfactorily without any concerns.

This restaurant has another good point. They provide a senior discount to people aged 65 or older.


Tartaruga
Address: 9894-3 Irino-cho, Nishi-ku, Hamamatsu-shi, Shizuoka
Tel: 053-489-3781
Open hours: 11:00 - 22:30 (LO 21:30)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year of Ox 2021

If you are in Japan during the year-end and New Year holidays, you can see many pretty sweets at Japanese confectionary stores. As 2021 is t...