Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Visit to Hamamatsu Museum of Musical Instruments (1)

Since long time ago, Hamamatsu has been known as a city of musical instruments because headquarters of leading musical instrument manufacturers such as Yamaha, Kawai, and Roland are located here. In 1995, the city opened Hamamatsu Museum of Musical Instruments as a part of “Development of City of Music” policies. It is the only public museum of this kind in Japan. The museum has a collection of about 1500 items from all over the world. As I had nothing to do last Sunday, I spent some time there in the afternoon. 



As I entered the museum, I saw a gorgeous musical instrument from Myanmar. It was a hsaing waing used for Buddhist rituals, dance, and drama. 


On the right of the floor, there is a set of gamelan from Java. I think it is one of the most well-known and eye-catching musical instruments in the museum. Though musical instruments in the exhibition rooms are untouchable, you can hear the sound of many items from videos or headphones. As with the hsaing waing, I could see how it was played.


There were also some musical instruments from Korea. These are a kayagum and other similar musical instruments. They reminded me of Korean historical dramas I like. In one of such dramas, I have heard a famous folksong “Arirang” played with a kayagum. It was very impressive.


I like also some Chinese songs. Every time I visit this museum, I hear a part of “Zai Na Yaoyuan De Difang (草原情歌) played with an erhu from the headphone. This song is widely known in Japan. While listening to the music, I took a picture of an erhu hung on the wall with its bow.

  
According to their website, this museum exhibits almost all kinds of Japanese musical instruments. These are used for gagaku or ancient court music.  


In a corner, you can try to play a Japanese song “Sakura Sakura (cherry blossoms, cherry blossoms)” with a koto, a stringed instrument. I saw some children playing it with their parents.


In addition to exhibition, the museum has often events such as concerts and workshops. Last Sunday, they had a workshop for children to make a little shakuhachi or Japanese flute. I’m not a child, but it may have been interesting to join it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year of Ox 2021

If you are in Japan during the year-end and New Year holidays, you can see many pretty sweets at Japanese confectionary stores. As 2021 is t...