Sunday, February 10, 2019

DONQ - Big fresh baguette just out of oven

In the evening, after I had gelato in the basement of Entetsu Department Store, I went to the old building of the department store to buy something for dinner. In front of the shop of DONQ, a chain bakery, one of the staff members started shouting to announce what they would offer at 17:00. Two big fresh baguettes would be cut in slices in front of the customers who wanted them! It was 16:50, and I stood in a queue at once. 


The queue became longer and longer. Each customer could buy up to two slices and got one or two plastic cards according to the number of slices. All the cards seemed to be given out by 17:00, and the first baguette was carried in front of us. It was big indeed! But I was more surprised to see steam coming up from the baguette when it was cut. 


It went very rapidly. As I was the second in the queue, I could get my slice soon. After paying at the cash register, I hurried home. When I took out the baguette out of the paper bag, I noticed that the bag became wet because of the fresh bread. I measured the width of the slice with a measuring tape. It was about 24 cm.


Since I was so attracted to its freshness, I ate the baguette as it was without putting anything on it. The crust was as crisp as those of ordinary baguettes of DONQ. But the inside was very spongy and reminded me of Chinese steamed buns. 


It was an interesting kind of baguette, and I enjoyed eating it. The only disadvantage was that it was too big to eat at a time, so I left the half of it and put in the refrigerator. I have to warm it up when I eat it next time.

Every day, this big baguette is sold in the same way in DONQ in Entetsu Department Store. Generally, I don’t like to stand in a queue, but I think it was worth to do it this time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year of Ox 2021

If you are in Japan during the year-end and New Year holidays, you can see many pretty sweets at Japanese confectionary stores. As 2021 is t...